Built for the game’s most creative playmakers, the Phantom GT2 Elite is one of the ultimate data-driven boots Nike has ever created.
Based on extensive research, the Generative Texture (where the ‘GT’ comes from) across the upper provides precise touch and control when shooting, passing and dribbling. The second generation release features a more defined, raised patterning across the upper to help create optimal spin to control the flight of the ball. Adding to that, an off-center lacing provides a clean strike zone.
Coming an explosive Sapphire/Grey Fog/Blue Void/Volt colorway, a range of angles and lines intersect with color blocks to create a very unmistakable look on field. One of the key features of the GT2 is how expansive Nike can be with the designs and colors used. It is the volt swoosh that really adds to the effect on this version, easily seen from distance.
There are a few other things worth pointing out that I really like about these:
- They are one of the wider fitting options that Nike has on offer right now. Yes, it takes some time to squeeze in through the knit collar. But once on, the forefoot cavity provides nice spacing to keep you comfy in play.
- That knit collar, I love how it sits and feels along the ankle line. It creates a secure fit that has the ability to stretch depending on your ankle shape.
- Underfoot, they feature a Hyperquick soleplate system with an updated stud layout that is optimized for dynamic traction through quick changes in lateral direction.
- Weight wise, they drop in at a very respectable 7.5oz. That is the sweet spot, providing the right balance of speed and durability.
- Love the included boot bag, one of my favorites with a Nike release to date. It follows the same colors and pattern as the actual boots.
They are, however, the type of boot that takes a few wears to really break in properly. You need to get them into quick, dynamic game action in order to loosen up the materials. If you can ease them in through a few practice sessions first, you will get the most out of them!
Retail wise, there are plenty of options available in the range right now. Original retail has them at $249.99, but there are several versions available on sale listed under the $200 mark.
Find all available pairs listed at SOCCER.com.