Ever since their release, there has been much discussion from fans about what the unusual design of the adidas Nemeziz 19+ is all about. Some appreciate the addition of bands around the ankle, while others have ridiculed the closed flower style design. Whatever your thoughts, the design is absolutely eye-catching and unlike anything else on the market right now.
We received a pair in this week, and they are every bit as intriguing as you’d imagine. Right out of the box, I found myself immediately starting to peel back the layers in an attempt to figure out what they are all about. It is a natural reaction!
Below are some initial thoughts on the design, along with a up-close video detailing the structure of the latest revolutionary agility boot.
- Getting them on foot for the first time is a challenge! These are without a doubt the toughest boot to date to put on, and you will 100% need to use the included shoehorn. I actually had to use it several times before they started to stretch and adjust to my foot shape as it slipped in and out.
- On foot, they are a little looser than you would expect. Yes, the adaptive Tension Tapes do their job in keeping your foot secure inside. But without laces they stretch across your foot as force is exerted across the lacing region.
- As mentioned above, they don’t have laces. So, you are relying on a generic fit to match your foot shape. If you get a chance, it would be worth trying on a pair before buying.
- Underfoot, adidas has gone with a split soleplate design. Where have we seen this before? The latest Nike Mercurial releases! So, there is definitely some inspiration taken from another brands boot design! I gotta say, it adds a new dimension to the Nemeziz as your foot feels a lot more balanced across the surface.
- This is not the version of Nemeziz worn by Messi; he wears his own customized pair of laced Nemeziz 19.1.
View this post on Instagram
When it comes to visuals, the laceless Nemeziz 19+ looks a bit like an unbloomed flower, a wrapped rose that is ready to spring open after rain showers in May. The adidas TENSION TAPE features a new weave structure and composition, giving an unprecedented fit around the foot. Its purpose, the adaptive tape, maximizes agility and acceleration for a quicker change in direction.
There is still a lot more to learn about these in the coming weeks, especially as we get to test them on pitch in different conditions. If you have any questions about them that you want answered, feel free to leave them in the comments below!
Find the latest Nemeziz 19+ colorways available at soccer.com.