Best Soccer Cleats for Durability

Bryan Byrne August 27, 2012 26

Jako Soccer Cleats

Finding a boot that lasts longer than the time it took for you to pick them out is harder than you think these days! I get a lot of emails from readers who just can’t seem to find a pair of boots that last a season and they end up frustrated looking for a durable pair of soccer cleats.

With that in mind and since we are hitting August pre-season, this post offers a breakdown of the more durable options we have found on the market, with some additional and extremely valuable advice added as a bonus. Experiences with boots can vary from player to player, but having tested the majority of boots on the market we can tell you what to look for and what to avoid.

Price Does Not Equal Durability!
Contrary to popular belief, paying more for boots does not mean a more durable boot! In fact, the opposite is often the truth. Companies go about producing professional level boots at the higher price end of the market. Here is the key thing to note, no professional players wear one pair of boots for an entire season. Think about it, whether it is an international star or a semi professional player in the lower divisions, more than 1 pair of boots are needed for an entire season. If you truely want to find the perfect balance of performance and durability, look at more of the $80 to $150 price point. For those on a tighter budget, $50 boots can definitely be top options in terms of durability, but often times they fall short in performance – something to note.

Without further ado, head done below for my selection of top durable options!

Durable Soccer Cleats

Nike Tiempo IV – $159.99

A lot of people swear by the durability of the Tiempo, and I tend to agree that they offer one of the best options on the market. The upper of the boot is padded in such a way that it keeps you well protected without taking away from your natural touch, while the quilted stitch pattern featured on the upper also allows the leather to move more naturally or in sync with the movements of your feet. Read Review.

Adidas adiPure 11Pro – $149.99

Even though they are not the best adiPure release to date, Adidas has paid attention to creating a lighter and more weatherproof controlled boot by adding a Taurus leather upper. Along the front of the boot, you also have an ultra thin layer of protection, called Duracoat, that covers what is an area of high abrasion. A new conical shaped stud configuration is also designed to be more abrasion resistant, while improving surface penetration. Read review.

UA Hydrastrike Pro II – $124.99

The newest release to be added to this list and for good reason. I am heavily impressed with what UA has done with this range and when it comes to durability, they are a boot that will survive a full season. They are also very affordable, easy to break in and feature a high performing K-leather upper. Read Review.

Nike T90 Strike IV – $109.99

You might be surprised that I have added the Strike instead of the Laser. Well, this addition is based off of player feedback, and I have had a lot of friends compliment the overall performance and durability they have encountered. It seems like there is something about these boots that makes them a solid long term investment and I definitely agree. Read review.

Diadora Evoluzione K Pro – $159.99

Diadora has a reputation for delivering consistent and extremely long term performing boots. I was stuck between this boot and the Maracana, but I feel that the small tweaks made on this boot, make it a better option. The upper is well constructed, with plenty of protection right around the heal and the K-leather upper is ultra supple. Oh, and excuse the colorway featured in the image above – yikes! Read Review.

Lotto Stadio Primato – $89.99

This is a boot that offers about the most consistent level of performance you will find. I haven’t met a person who has worn these and ended up disapprving of what they have to offer. Fact is, the K-leather upper on these boots ranks right at the top of the market, while they seem to offer far better durability properties than some of the newest releases on the market. Best of all, check out that price-point!! Read Review.

In your opinion, what is the most durable boot on the market? If you have a boot that you feel should be included, we want to know – so leave a comment down below!

The following two tabs change content below.

Expert Boot Reviewer

The mastermind behind the revolution that is SoccerCleats101. Bryan started this website back in 2008 and has been testing boots on a daily basis ever since.

Check out our About Page for more details on Bryan and the website.

26 Comments »

1. D__ August 27, 2012 at 2:11 am - Reply

Pantofola D'oro Lazzarini is an extremely durable shoe.

One piece leather upper fully stitched to the outsole can take some serious damage. Granted they gets scuffed and worn around the edges as leather shoes tend to do, but this does not affect the durability or performance.

I have used a pair for two years now, playing with two clubs on both turf and natural pitches in a range of weather conditions in games as well as training. No sign of leather breaking anywhere or outsole coming off. Even the inner lining is leather so it has not gotten worn out and torn as some of the synthetic types have done on other other boots I've owned.

I tend to aggressively drag my feet when dribbling and this is the first boot I have owned that I didn't have to user super glue on the outsole after 6-7 games.

2. Ryan August 27, 2012 at 7:30 am - Reply

I have used the CTR 360s Maestri IIs for over a year playing an avg of 4 days a week. Anyone else notice how durable these beast are? I personally think the IIs are better than the IIIs.

• Jon August 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

I have the CTR 360 Maestri Elite’s (the red, black and white ones). I got them in July of 2011 and am still wearing them. I play 4-5 days a week and plan on using them until they literally break. Cleats truly are durable in every essence of the word.

• vyce August 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

i have the maestri II elites, and just got the maestri III’s. the II’s were very nice and durable. but i wouldn’t say the II’s are more durable than the III’s without testing them out for atleast half a year.

• bob h September 5, 2012 at 9:06 am - Reply

I tried the Mastri 2′s on in the store and the top lace hole ripped clean through. Mastri’s are comfortable, but not durable. I have a pair of wave ignitus 2, I got them in December and have played 3 times a week every week sence with no problems whatsoever.

My Adipure 3′s are two years old now and are ony just starting to show the smallest signs of seperation from the soleplate

3. Sizzle August 27, 2012 at 7:49 am - Reply

While I have never worn Adidas Copa Mundials, I know of many players who have had the same pair for three years or longer. It seems like the most durable boot to me.

• Paul August 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm - Reply

thats what I heard too, until I saw one break after not even a month of use.

• goodwillhinton September 13, 2012 at 9:26 am - Reply

I couldn't agree more about the Copas. I have a pair that I bought 2 1/2 years ago. I play two matches every week on artificial turf and they are still in perfect condition.

4. 7___7 August 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm - Reply

I have never really had any issues with any Nike Mercurial Vapors or CTRS. But… they may be because I have a new pair of cleats every 2 months or so. :)

• Eddie January 3, 2013 at 7:07 am - Reply

My 14yr old son's vapors cleats and base cracked after 6 months.

5. Paul August 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm - Reply

I have read that the Lotto Futura is super durable too.

6. jose August 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm - Reply
  7. cam August 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm - Reply

tiempo legends are not very durable.

• nick August 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Mine broke after around 4 months of use on artifical turf so i would have to agree. Artificial turf is a real problem though, it kills boots

• banaana August 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm - Reply

the front of mine turned brown and i use leather food its like rubbed off

8. Dito August 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm - Reply

I have to say my black/green laser III elites are holding up extremely well, I bought it when it came out (december 2010) and it's still strong, apart from a few "fins" coming off, the whole shoes are still solid. But I think the lasers in general are extremely durable.

9. Chase August 27, 2012 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I've been using the f50 adizero range since the first day they came out. It's all I've been using and even though I have 3 pairs i still wear the chameleon purple ones that were first released. I play year round at least 3 days a week and have had no durability problems what so ever with the f50s

• Thomas September 13, 2012 at 10:56 am - Reply

I agree! I have a pair of the yellow f50's for over2years and they are still good to go!

10. Diego November 6, 2012 at 11:10 am - Reply

The Nike Total 90 Laser is a durable boot. I have had my lasers for a little over a year and they are still in shape for play. I have used them for club, high school, and again for club soccer

11. meade November 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm - Reply

of all my boots and I have had a lot, the stadio primato was by far the best, performance and durability wise. And best of all, I got them for $50!

12. Nathan November 27, 2012 at 5:28 am - Reply

some may not believe this but i think the cactus green superfly 2s are very durable. I play centre mid and have played other positions and other sports such as oztag and they have lasted me over 2 seasons (summer and winter). i wear the superflys 2-3 times a week and they have been a great cleat. They are starting to show wear and tear a bit inside the heel but im sure they could go another season. forgot to mention half a stud had come off too ;)

13. josh December 21, 2012 at 4:08 am - Reply

i had of ctr masteri iis and they are still good but i dont fit in them anymore.

14. Mike January 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm - Reply

David Beckham's Gold Microfiber cleats. 3-4 sessions a week in dirt, turf and grass. 2 hours or more a session. They have lasted me 1.5 years with no damage or loss of performance.

15. Daniel March 15, 2013 at 11:03 am - Reply

adidas f30 adizero. i have been using a pair for almost two years on pretty much every surface. insole wore out around my big toe but the rest of the boot is still fine.

16. NoTiempo September 30, 2013 at 1:35 pm - Reply

I had a pair of Tiempo Legend IV cleats that did not even last 4 months. As for Nike standing behind their product, they don't.

The response from Nike:

We are sorry your product cannot be credited for replacement. Nike will replace any product with a material or workmanship flaw. Your product was thoroughly inspected and the problem appears to be caused by normal wear and tear or excessive outsole wear. Unfortunately, this is not considered a material or manufacturing flaw and all inspector decisions are final.

It appears that they only expect their cleats to last 3 months.

17. NoMoreNike September 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm - Reply

The response from Nike:

It appears that they only expect their cleats to last 3 months.

Leave A Response »